(Sustained drumroll. Collective gasp of anticipation. Vigorous wrestling with a glitzy-looking envelope.)
…John Tighe, the Landlord of the mighty Spotted Dog pub in Digbeth.
Congratulations to a well-deserving winner. This man has taken a stand against the gentrified hordes, and for that I salute him. You can read about John’s valiant efforts at his campaign website. May his commitment to the authentic live music experience continue to upset the delicate sensibilities of irredeemable gobshites and their polite, James Blunt-soundtracked dinner parties.
So say we all.
Commiserations to the runners-up, particularly my good friend and erstwhile gigpimp Pete Ashton. Here’s the full results, courtesy of the award’s organisers Birmingham It’s Not Shit :
Who’s Brummie of The Year 2007?
- Richard Pawley (1%, 10 Votes)
- Condori : Big Chief Busks With Recorder (hats off to the buskers) (2%, 20 Votes)
- Martin Mullaney (2%, 25 Votes)
- Soweto Kinch (4%, 44 Votes)
- Carl Chinn (4%, 48 Votes)
- Catherine O’Flynn (12%, 133 Votes)
- Lisa Meyer & Jenny Moore of Capsule (16%, 186 Votes)
- Pete Ashton (29%, 336 Votes)
- John Tighe of The Spotted Dog (31%, 353 Votes)